Skip to content Skip to navigation
Ramping up to fall semester: Learn how to do your part as we return to campus, and get the latest COVID-19 updates.Campus ReadyCOVID-19 Updates

Summer Courses

Planning for Summer Sessions

Jump to Summer Sessions at Community Classes
Jump to Summer Sessions at CSUs or other UCs

Taking courses during the Summer is a definite edge in getting ahead or catching up to your academic goals. These courses can be taken here at UC Merced, at Community Colleges around California, and even at CSUs. Students taking courses at UC Merced over the Summer are recommended to take no more then two courses<. A catalog of these courses are provided here. Be sure to run an audit through MyDegreePath for course requirements and prerequisites.

Students taking courses over the Summer to repeat or retake a course must follow standard repeat guidelines.

Financial aid applications for summer will be available March 3rd. Limited funds are available so students are highly recommended to submit the application as early as possible.

Summer Sessions at Community College

ASSIST Articulation Website:

Community Colleges and otherwise different institutions will categorize their courses differently.  As such, one important step of transfer summer courses is finding course equivalency via

  1. Go to
  2. In the first drop down box select the community college you wish to attend.
  3. In the second drop down box select University of California, Merced.
  4. In the drop down box under By Department at: University of California, Merced choose the area of study of the course you wish to take.
  5. Courses on the left of the grid are UC Merced courses and the courses on the right of the grid are the equivalent courses at the community college.

When taking courses at the Community College that are listed on ASSIST, there is no need to get any pre-approval. However, it is recommended you share your summer plans with your academic advisor.

Grades from Community Colleges do not transfer to UC Merced. Repeating courses at the community college that you initially failed at UC Merced will not replace your failed grade. However, you will receive subject credit. In addition, your UC Merced GPA will not increase if you take courses at a community college. Community colleges only offer lower division courses.

Summer Sessions at CSU or other UC

Courses taken at a CSU or other UC must be pre-approved through the UC Merced department that offers the course. Many courses have already been approved and listed for students. If the course(s) you would like to take are listed you do not need to submit an approval request form.

  • The Natural Science approved course list is available here. The Natural Sciences course approval form can be found here.
  • The SSHA approved course list is available through the SSHA advisors only. Advisors are located in COB 208. The SSHA course approval form can be found here.
  • The Engineering approved course list and course approval form is available through the Engineering advisors only. Advisors located in SE2 Suite 315.

Please provide a syllabus with all course approval forms

Receiving Credit at UCM from Other Insitutions

To receive credit for any course taken outside of UC Merced, it must be completed with a letter grade. Official transcripts must be sent from the institution you attended to:

UC Merced Office of the Registrar
5200 N. Lake Rd., Merced, CA 95343
Transcripts must be sent upon completion of the class. Failure to submit transcripts prior to the end of the fall semester could result in non-transfer of credit.
Please contact your advisor for more information on Summer courses.

Back To Top